The Firs is a large self-catering bungalow located within the grounds of Pendarren House Outdoor Education Centre, a large country house situated near Crickhowell in the Brecon Beacons National Park. It lies in the Grywyne valley and has beautiful views across the Usk valley. The property has been specifically converted for group use as holiday accommodation which is suitable for up to 16 people.
- Ground Floor Accessible Room
- Accessible Twin beds
- Right hand transfer to bed
- Left hand transfer to bed
- Sufficient wheelchair access around bedroom
- Underneath bed clearance for portable hoist
- Put-u-up bed for carer
- Low level rail in wardrobe
- Tea/coffee making facilities at accessible height
- Electric sockets/hairdryer at accessible height
- Mirror at accessible height
- Wheelchair accessible shower room
- Wheelchair turning space in shower room
- Room for carer/carers in shower room
- Grab rails in shower room
- Easy access to wash basin
- Easy access to hand dryer/towels
- Portable shower chair (see photo)
- Shower gel/soap dispensers at accessible height
- Shower controls reachable when seated
- Space for right transfer to toilet
On - Site Facilities
- Electric Scooter charging facilities
- Designated disabled car parking
- Level/ramped access into accommodation (ramped see photo)
- Easy access around ground floor
- Wheelchair access to gardens/grounds
- Emergency pull cord (in accessible toilet)
- Level/ramped access to dining room
- Sufficient wheelchair access to tables
There are 5 en-suite bedrooms providing a total of 16 beds. There are two twin rooms and three bunk rooms. The en-suite facilities in one of the twin rooms is accessible by wheelchair. A hoist is available if required. The Firs is DDA compliant with wheelchair access to all except one of the bedrooms is designed to be accessible to wheelchairs.
Kitchen / Dining area: is very well equipped and has plenty of storage and food preparation space. The dining area has a large wooden table with seating and space for 16 people.
Lounge: has comfortable seating for residents with a television / DVD player. This room opens onto a south and west facing terrace with a lovely view of the Grwyne valley and across the Usk valley to the mountains.
Garden: the small garden is for the use of those staying in the Firs and has outdoor seating.
Garage: contains a drying room and coin operated washing machine and tumble dryer.
There are 5 en-suite bedrooms (three bunk rooms and two twin rooms) and one of the twin rooms is 'L' shaped with good internal wheelchair
access and a fully adapted en-suite wet-room. NB A hoist is also available on site if required. The communal living area has good accessibility
and there is an accessible ramp down to a patio area with wonderful views. When the centre is staffed, by prior arrangement
visitors at the Firs
are also able to use the Outdoor Education Centre facilities such as the unheated swimming which has a hoist and the wheelchair accessible
abseiling route and depending on individual ability take part in other activities such as canoeing and orienteering. The Firs garage which would
make a great covered drying area for outdoor clothing contained an all-terrain wheelchair and various pieces of mobility equipment available for
This Accessible Accommodation in Wales is suitable for families.
Commode shower chairs, mobility scooters, hoists, toilet raiser and more are available. Please
confirm your personal needs at time of booking.
Free Phone 0800 622 6000
Click here to
search for another accessible accommodation in